04 Mar 2020
U15s reach final

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge

The lads started off their afternoon with a tough fixture against Hazel Grove School. Having previously drawn with them 3-3 earlier in the season. The match was a game of few chances and neither team could break the deadlock. The score line finished 0-0.

The boys had no rest and were straight back on against Wilmslow High School. We won the game 1-0 which was an important victory to get the boys up and running in the tournament. A special mention goes to Orly Bonar who made a terrific last minute save to make sure we won the game.

We then had a long break before our next game which was against St Bede’s. This was another tough test against a good strong physical team. However the boys won the game 2-0 to put themselves in a good position in the group.

The last game of the group was against Moorside High School and the boys knew that a victory would put them through to the cup semi-final. We started the game fast with Harry Williams netting from a brilliant Luca Muthappan pass. The game ended up 2-1 and we were through to the cup semi-final.

In the group stage the boys won an impressive 3 games and drew just 1, conceding only 1 goal and scoring 5. Special mentions go to Orly Bonar, Harry Williams and Harry Lynn who were very good in the group stage.

The draw had been made and we were up against local rivals Cheadle Hulme School. The boys were desperate to put one over on their rivals. Cheadle had possession of the ball for most of the game but couldn’t get past a solid SGS defence. The game finished 0-0 which meant we were going to penalties. Three penalties each and then sudden death. Cheadle scored their first and so did we with Pat Wilkinson slotting the ball into the corner. Orly, who was player of the tournament, then saved the next Cheadle penalty to put us in a good position. Harry Williams stepped up next and calmly put it in the corner. Cheadle then missed their last penalty because of another fantastic save which meant we were through to the final and Harry Lynn didn’t need to take his penalty.

Another local derby awaited us in the final. We were against the hosts MGS. It had been a long old day and the boys had given so much. We were defeated 2-0 and I think the intensity of the tournament had caught us up. However every single one of them was fantastic and should be very proud of themselves.

Player of the tournament: Orly Bonar